(page 5 of 12)
All that remains of the original 1980 visitor center are its theaters. The once-bare concrete aggregate walls have been painted beige and given a new roof, to match the rest of the new facility. They’ve been thoroughly modernized inside, as well. Here, visitors take in an orientation film on the history leading up to the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor.
The 1980 visitor center was designed by the Hawaii architectural firm, CDS International. Founded in 1958 as Hogan and Chapman Architects, CDS has since designed Frear Hall at UH, the Bishop Museum Science Adventure Center, the Moana Hotel Historic Rehabilitation, downtown’s Pauahi Tower and Tamarind Park, and countless other projects.